Today’s recipe is from the book The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook by Elizabeth Gordon. We are giving away copies of the book to a few of our lucky readers, so be sure to leave your comments below in order to win… your comment is your entry! Winners will be announced next week.
We are huge fans of risotto. Though this version is loaded with green spring vegetables, there is no reason your risotto can’t contain any number of other ingredients. Use this recipe as a basic starting point and then add whatever vegetables you have in your refrigerator, sautéed. Or, omit all the vegetables and just add a handful of herbs and a little lemon zest.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
3 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 very small yellow onion, diced
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 tablespoon Soy-Free Earth Balance® Buttery Spread
1. Pour the stock into a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until it just simmers. Turn the heat down to low.
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the garlic and onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add the Arborio rice and stir to coat it with the olive oil. Let the rice cook in the hot oil for about 30 seconds to open the grains. Pour in the wine, stir the rice, and let it cook for another 30 seconds to cook off the alcohol. Turn the heat down to medium.
4. Add 2 cups of the warmed stock and stir the rice until the stock is completely absorbed. Add the remaining stock a half cup at a time, stirring after each addition until all of the stock is absorbed and the rice is soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in the marjoram, salt, vegetables, Earth Balance® Buttery Spread and serve.
5. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
You can learn all about Elizabeth and find more of her recipes at: www.myallergyfreelifestyle.com
Tell us about some of your favorite allergy-friendly foods and you might win a copy of The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook! You’ll also be automatically entered in our Everyday Giveaway for a chance to win coupons for free Earth Balance®!