I created this recipe during the Vegan Month of Food last year. Each week, they hosted friendly Iron Chef Challenges, and one week's secret ingredient was chickpeas. I created the recipe utilizing what was already in my pantry. I've updated the recipe to make it simpler and include the use of more Earth Balance buttery spread.
- Prep Time : 30 min
- Cook Time : 60 min
- Yields: 4
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle, diced (optional)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, pureed (or left whole if you want a chunkier soup)
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds (or 1/2 tsp cumin powder)
- 1 tablespoon besan gram (chickpea) flour (you can sub flour or omit)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup leeks, minced (or diced onion)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2. Meanwhile, toast coriander & flour in a dry pan until fragrant. Set aside.
3. Heat butter or oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add garlic & leeks, stirring until garlic is lightly browned & leeks are wilted.
4. Add coriander-flour mixture & cook until fragrant (less than a minute), stirring frequently.
5. Add tomato puree, chipotle, & cumin seeds & stir. Add about 2 cups of water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
6. Add remaining cup of chickpeas. Season with salt & pepper if needed. Add more flour if you want a thicker soup.
7. Garnish with chopped roasted chickpeas & cilantro. You can also add a dollop of Earth Balance Mindful Mayo for extra creaminess.